1.2 g / .04 oz
This direct-set yogurt starter can be used with non-dairy milks such as soy and rice milk. Each box makes 4 batches of yogurt.
Our Vegan Yogurt Starter consists of a blend of lactic acid bacteria specifically selected for use in making dairy-free yogurt. This direct-set vegan culture has a mild yogurt flavor with a smooth texture and slightly weak viscosity.
- Each box contains 4 packets of starter culture.
- Use 1 packet with 1-2 quarts alternative milk. (For larger batches, use 2 packets with 1-4 gallons of alternative milk.)
- Cultures at 110º F using a yogurt maker or other appliance. This culture often requires a thickener to achieve a store-bought yogurt consistency. Direct-set (single-use) culture - each packet makes one batch of vegan yogurt.
Instructions for using this culture are included OR download PDF here
to learn more about thickener options. Certain thickeners must be added to milk before heating and culturing to work properly.
SHIPPING INFORMATION AND SHELF LIFE
- Vegan Yogurt Starter Culture is shipped in a barrier-sealed packet as a freeze-dried yogurt culture.
- For best results, store in the refrigerator or freezer
- Use by the date on the box.
This non-dairy yogurt is prepared with pectin and calcium water. Working with non-dairy milks can be a bit tricky, and some brands of ingredients may work better than others. This recipe was tested with several brands of pectin and only Pomona's Pectin successfully created desired results.
USING PECTIN AND CALCIUM WATER
Each box of Pomona's Universal Pectin includes pectin and a separate packet of monocalcium phosphate to make calcium water. Some alternative milks have added calcium. If the milk thickens in the blender when pectin is added, do not use calcium water. Doing so can result in overly thickened yogurt.
To make calcium water put 1/2 teaspoon white calcium powder and 1/2 cup water in a small, clear jar with lid and shake well.
- 3.5 - 4 cups coconut milk, rice milk or soy milk
- 2 teaspoons Pomona's Pectin Powder
- 2 teaspoons Pomona's Pectin Calcium Water
- 1 packet Vegan Yogurt Starter Culture
- Add pectin powder to 1 cup room-temperature coconut milk.
- Blend in blender until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2½ cups coconut milk in a saucepan with the calcium water.
- Heat to 140ºF.
- Add reserved milk and pectin. Return to 140ºF, then remove from heat.
- When milk is cooled to 110°F, sprinkle vegan yogurt starter over milk and stir well.
- Pour into a clean jar and cover, or pour into your yogurt maker jars and follow manufacturer's directions.
- Culture for 6-8 hours at 105º-112ºF in a yogurt maker or similar appliance.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate.
- Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
RECIPE NOTES: To make 2 quarts non-dairy yogurt, use 3-4 teaspoons pectin powder, and 3-4 teaspoons calcium water with 1 packet of Vegan Yogurt Starter.